With Philip Reade, Helm Investment Partners
Philip Reade, founder and managing partner at Helm Investment Partners, joins the podcast to discuss his approach to crisis investing on a global basis.
Reade does not follow the “buy when everybody else panics” maxim. Instead, he searches first for a country that is emerging from a crisis and then buys that market’s largest, most liquid public equities. Helm Investment Partners seeks to capture shifts in the “psychological cycle” where the perception of a market changes.
- Reade’s approach and how it’s different from value investing (1:12)
- Identifying buying opportunities (5:35)
- Timing the purchases is just as important as identifying the opportunity (15:30)
- Some of the firms’ investments in 2019 (19:09)
- When to sell positions (20:30)
- Reade’s “origin story” of how he came to investing (23:51)
- Where are the opportunities now? (30:30) Greece (31:29), Turkey (32:09), Chile (33:36), Pakistan (35:04)
- China and the coronavirus (37:57)
- Potential future investment targets in Egypt, Mexico, Argentina (39:25)
- Why there is still upside in Greece (42:42)
For more information about Philip Reade and Helm Investment Partners, visit HelmIP.com.
Not intended as investment advice.