With Gary Mishuris, Silver Ring Value Partners
Gary Mishuris, managing partner and chief investment officer at Boston-based Silver Ring Value Partners, joins the podcast to discuss using behavioral finance to protect against mistakes in one’s own investing process.
The conversation quickly moves to Archegos Capital and whether this is a contained event that can be a buying opportunity — or whether it constitutes systemic risk for the market in general.
Later we discuss financial literacy and how investment managers face a real conflict that prevents them from being true fiduciaries.
- Behavioral finance: not just to identify investment opportunities (3:42);
- The first step is admitting you have a problem (5:25);
- The Devil’s Advocate Club (6:31);
- Archegos Capital and the blocktrade controversy (14:19);
- Is the Archegos Capital issue a contained event or something like the Long Term Capital Management crisis? Or perhaps a ‘canary in the coalmine’ type of thing? (21:40);
- Central banks may not have the market’s back indefinitely and relying on the Fed may be (24:19);
- Background on the guest (32:51);
- The conflict preventing fund managers from being true fiduciaries (31:31);
- The need for fund managers to train their investors (35:20);
- Financial literacy and educating the broader public about investing (46:54);
- The name of the fund (Silver Ring) is not a Lord of the Rings reference. The story behind how the fund got its name (50:03)