With Twitter’s Ze Contrarian (@ZeContrarian7)
A few segments of this episode contain adult language. Listener discretion is advised.
This episode is brought to you by Merk Research. Visit this link to take advantage of the offer presented on the podcast. To listen without ads or announcements, become a premium subscriber, which gets you access to a host of other benefits, including (but not limited to) the new Daily Contrarian podcast, released every market day morning around 7:00 a.m. eastern time.
“Ze Contrarian,” a well-known and well-followed fintwit investor (Twitter handle: @ZeContrarian7) joins the podcast to discuss his investment philosophy and provide several stock picks for listeners.
(Spotify users can click on the timestamp to link to the segment directly)
- Investment philosophy and view of the markets: it’s a brave new world with promoters on social media and elsewhere moving stocks (3:00);
- Where are the opportunities right now? Things move quickly, but biotechnology and companies that are part of the “great reopening” are two fertile areas (9:17);
- First idea: Odonate Therapeutics (NASDAQ: ODT) (15:33);
- Second idea: MediWound (NASDAQ: MDWD) (18:41);
- Third idea: Farfetch (NYSE: FTCH) (23:33);
- Fourth idea: Hostelworld Group (PINK: HSWLF). “There’s no better example for a contrarian investment than this stock.” (28:17);
- Brief discussion of hostels, where the host unwittingly reveals just how much of a boomer he really is (34:56);
- Background on the guest (45:26)
- The contrarian indicator that allowed him to get out of the market ahead of the COVID meltdown last February (50:55);
- How does he find opportunities? It’s all about building a network (54:37);
- How to produce income? BDCs, or business development companies. Current favorite: Golub Capital (NASDAQ: GBDC) (59:32);
- The coming boom in long-term travel and remote work and why it bodes well for the hotel industry (1:05:46);
- The potential of Mexico (1:08:19).
- Hostelworld investment thesis via Twitter;