This podcast episode brought to you by Covey — Covey is designed to find, reward, and train the next top investment managers —from any background—that anyone can copy, so everyone can win. To track a partial portfolio of Value Investing Substack, click here.
Aaron Pek of Value Investing Substack joins the podcast to discuss his bullish outlook on three individual stocks and more generally the investment case for Malaysia.
- First idea: Intel (INTC) and why it can compete with Samsung (SSNLF) and Taiwan Semiconductor (TSM) (2:33);
- Some additional background on Intel and its business case (4:49);
- Bears say INTC has years until it can catch up to TSMC, but Intel has the necessary machinery to bridge the gap sooner (10:10);
- Second idea: Occidental Petroleum (OXY), a unique oil play beloved by Warren Buffett (15:23);
- Background on the guest (23:57);
- Third idea: Hibiscus Petroleum (HIPEF), whose management team the guest views as the Warren Buffett management team of southeast Asian oil and gas (28:13);
- The case for Malaysia: a view from the ground (32:29);
- There is an ETF, iShares MSCI Malaysia ETF (EWM) which tracks Malaysian stocks. Discussion of Malaysia’s geopolitical place between China and the US (34:39);
- China’s lost decade (44:11).
Not investment advice! Do your own research, make your own decisions.
More on the Guest
- Substack: ValueInvesting.Substack.com;
- Twitter: @ValueInvestingZ;.