This podcast episode was recorded on May 11, 2022 and made available to premium subscribers that same day (without ads or announcements, either!) To become a premium subscriber, go here or visit our Substack.
Brooker Belcourt, CEO of Covey, joins the podcast to discuss his analyst platform and its ‘alpha algorithm’ that has been able to produce outperformance through its stock and ETF picks and crypto calls.
- Covey’s contrarian thesis: Retail analysts are every bit as good, if not better, than institutional analysts (4:10);
- The idea of a platform to aggregate analyst opinion is not new. But very recent history has proven Covey correct: its analysts predicted the drop in cryptocurrencies and rise in value stocks over that have transpired over the last week (5:53);
- The ‘alpha algorithm’ and how that works (6:58);
- What is Covey’s algorithm picking up right now? (11:03);
- Some highlights: Long commodities, fertilizer stocks like Mosaic (MOS), financials, energy stocks, and a few beaten-up tech names like Facebook/Meta (FB) and Alibaba (BABA). Short cryptos has been taken off (14:46);
- Isn’t Covey just chasing past performance hoping for future results? (17:20)
- Great investors appear to have staying power, regardless of environment (23:27);
- Background on the guest and how he came to start Covey (28:11);
- Deeper discussion on how Covey’s top analysts are positioning their portfolios right now (36:39);