Last updated on June 2, 2021
With Twitter’s Ze Contrarian (@ZeContrarian7)
A few segments of this episode contain adult language. Listener discretion is advised.
“Ze Contrarian,” a well-known and well-followed fintwit investor (Twitter handle: @ZeContrarian7) joins the podcast to discuss his investment philosophy and provide several stock picks for listeners.
(Spotify users can click on the timestamp to link to the segment directly)
- Investment philosophy and view of the markets: it’s a brave new world with promoters on social media and elsewhere moving stocks (3:00);
- Where are the opportunities right now? Things move quickly, but biotechnology and companies that are part of the “great reopening” are two fertile areas (9:17);
- First idea: Odonate Therapeutics (NASDAQ: ODT) (15:33);
- Second idea: MediWound (NASDAQ: MDWD) (18:41);
- Third idea: Farfetch (NYSE: FTCH) (23:33);
- Fourth idea: Hostelworld Group (PINK: HSWLF). “There’s no better example for a contrarian investment than this stock.” (28:17);
- Brief discussion of hostels, where the host unwittingly reveals just how much of a boomer he really is (34:56);
- Background on the guest (45:26)
- The contrarian indicator that allowed him to get out of the market ahead of the COVID meltdown last February (50:55);
- How does he find opportunities? It’s all about building a network (54:37);
- How to produce income? BDCs, or business development companies. Current favorite: Golub Capital (NASDAQ: GBDC) (59:32);
- The coming boom in long-term travel and remote work and why it bodes well for the hotel industry (1:05:46);
- The potential of Mexico (1:08:19).
- Hostelworld investment thesis via Twitter;