Sean Fieler, president and chief investment officer at hedge fund firm Equinox Partners, joins the podcast to make the case for an unloved part of the equity markets: gold and silver miners.
This case is based on several variables, starting with unprecedented fiscal and monetary policy that has marked this particular epoch in global financial markets. “The idea that gold and silver wouldn’t do well in that environment are totally at odds with financial history,” says Fieler.
It goes a lot further than this, of course. Fieler discusses the variables and even presents some favorite stocks.
(Spotify users can click on the timestamp to link to the section directly)
- The case for underlying gold and silver miners, including the compounding of fiscal and monetary policy. (3:03);
- Why invest in miners rather than in the physical commodity, or futures contracts thereon? (7:26);
- One concern with ETFs tracking prices of physical metals: the administrators are not necessarily reliable counterparties (9:00);
- There are risks with owning miners as well, of course (11:41);
- More information on the guest (15:17);
- One surprising fact: West Africa is a good place to build a mine. Latin America is much more difficult (17:27);
- Ghana’s fledgling securities market may be a good opportunity for investment (19:48);
- One favorite stock: Endeavor Mining Corp (OTC:EDVMF) (21:35);
- A microcap name to watch: RTG Mining (GREY: RTGGF), a copper and gold miner in the Philippines (25:19);
- A little background on the fund, which predates the gym of the same name (27:52).
Not intended as investment advice.